Blueberries are one of the most nutrient-dense foods around and are also one of my favourite foods to eat. As you may have noticed on my Instagram, I especially love having them in my Oat breakfast bowls alongside a variety of fruits every morning so as to yield better nutrition. Blueberries are a 'superfood' that contains a tremendous amount of antioxidants. These tiny balls of goodness are super tasty and offer numerous health benefits.
According to Josh Axe, just one cup of blueberries provides you with: Fiber, Manganese, Vitamin K and C, Resveratrol, Gallic acid, Lutein and Zeaxanthin. That is a huge amount of nutrients to be gained from just one cup.
Here are the reasons why I love blueberries
- They're tasty and make a great snack. I can't think of anything worse than snacking on a biscuit at 11 am, unhealthy snacks often lead to weight gain.
- Digestion. Blueberries are good for the bowels as their water-soluble fiber enhances regular bowel movements. Because I suffer from IBS, bowel movements are my biggest challenge but having a cup a day of blueberries alongside a healthy diet helps.
- Blueberries aid brain power thanks to them containing Flavonoids. Other foods that boost the brain include strawberries and green tea.
- Blueberries benefit the skin, I had acne for a few years just like any teenager. My skin has cleared up because of eating right and exfoliation, I feel confident leaving the house without make up.
- No one stays young forever but we sure can slow down the process. Blueberries contain powerful antioxidants that help reverse the damage caused to the skin.
Dr Axe, J 7 health benefits of blueberries https://draxe.com/health-benefits-blueberries/
Smart living network 8 healthy reasons to love blueberries https://www.smartlivingnetwork.com/nutrition/b/health-benefits-of-blueberries/