Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 40 minutes
What you need:
Chicken breast 2 lbs, cut
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Water, 2 cups
small cinnamon stick
Half tsp cumin
2 Green and 2 black Cardamom
2 slit green chilli
Peppercorns – 1/4 tsp
3 Onions, chopped
2 cans of Crushed Tomatoes
1 tbsp, chopped garlic
1 tbsp, chopped ginger
1 tbsp Red Chili Powder
Half tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
Corriander Powder – 1.5 tsp
Cilantro, for garnish, finely chopped
1. Wash up Chicken breasts and drain the excess water well.
2. Heat a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add in the Oil.
3. Add in Cloves, Bay leaves and Green Cardamom. Fry for about 30 seconds and then add in the Onions.
4. Add a little salt to expedite the cooking process. Mix well. Cook for 3-5 minutes and add in the Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilis.
5. Stir frequently. Allow the Onions to brown but not burn. Add in the crushed tomatoes and cook until the oil starts separating from the mixture. Blend the Masala into a smooth paste and set aside for 2 minutes.
6. Heat the pan again and add mixture back in. Once the Oil is hot, add in the Cinnamon Stick and the Black Cardamom. Cook for 30 seconds and add in Turmeric Powder.
7. Mix and add in the Masala Paste. Add Red Chili Powder, Coriander powder and Cumin Powder. Add a little bit of water to avoid the Powders burning and to help them mix in the Masala well.
8. Once well mixed, add in the Chicken and allow it to seal. After the chicken has turned white, add in the desired amount of water.
9. Mix well and add Salt. Mix again. Cover and cook till ready, stirring frequently in between.
10. Garnish with Cilantro and a sprinkle of lemon juice. Serve.
Until next time.