It's gorgeously light, it's moist, it's erm.. lemony?! Lemon Cake has quickly become one of the favourites; it's super easy to bake and the ingredients required won't drain your bank account. I don't like my lemon sponge sharp nor do I like it too sweet which is why this homemade lemon sponge cake of mine is just right.Yes, this one is not Gluten free and so I only had a tiny little piece *what a tease*; I actually made this cake for my colleagues in work. You will not be disappointed so why not give it a go. Here's how you can make this delightful little number.What you need:
- 3 lemons
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 175g Self raising flour
- 175g soft butter
- 175g caster sugar (I always use regular granulated sugar, makes no difference)
- Lemon zest, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons lemon curd
- 75g icing sugar
- Handful of lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 170C, then grease and line 2 round baking tins.
- Beat butter and sugar in a bowl until pale then add in the eggs, baking powder, flour and lemon zest.
- Beat until well mixed and smooth. Divide mixture equally between the already prepared tins.
- Bake for 35 minutes; the sponge will spring back when pressed lightly if cake is ready.
- Place cakes onto cooling rack then make tiny holes on the cakes. Grab half a lemon and squeeze the juice onto the cakes so it seeps into the sponge. I whipped up a small batch of lemon buttercream then sandwiched the cakes together.
- Beat lemons then add granulated sugar and icing sugar to it and mix well. Should be a thick consistency, spread evenly on cake when cool then serve.
Didn't I tell you it was easy.