We need to start encouraging the little ones to eat their 5-a-day, getting them involved in the preparation and even throwing in a few superhero swaps. Have you ever considered swapping ingredients in a popular kid’s meal like PIZZA with a healthy alternative? Well that's exactly what I've done. I've managed to make Pizza just that little bit healthier; incorporating in vegetables, a homemade sauce and other ingredients. I substituted white bread flour with Wholemeal Bread Flour as it is the healthier option. Wheat grains crushed into a fine powder, in this case the flour contributes to your grain intake for the day, helping you reach the six 1/2-cup servings of grains. Now if that's not something to smile about, I don't know what is. Here's how you can make these delicious yet nutritious sausage pizzas; why not make them with your children, have some fun in the kitchen.
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Mechanical Scale (To weigh your ingredients)
- Rolling Pin
- Measuring Jug/Cup
- 300g (11 oz) wholemeal bread flour
- 200ml luke warm water
- Half a teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried active baking yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 454g Pork sausages (You have a choice here, choose your favourite then fry in a tablespoon of oil until half done. They will cook some more in the oven)
- Red, green and yellow peppers, chopped
- Spinach, chopped
- A handful of Sweetcorn
- Homemade Tomato Sauce ( This is basically tomatoes, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and a drizzle of olive oil blended together. No cooking needed)
- Grated cheese
How to make the dough:
- Pour the flour, salt, yeast, sugar and oil into a large bowl and mix with wooden spoon.
- Make a well in the middle then pour in the warm water gradually. You need quite a thick batter so you might not need to use all the water. Stir well to combine.
- Cover and let rise for 15 minutes then turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead.
- Roll into a not too thin circle then transfer crust to a lightly greased pizza pan dusted with flour.
- Pizza number 1 is a Sausage and Pepper Pizza. Spread homemade sauce all over the top surface of the already circled dough.
- Add the sausages, peppers and sprinkle cheese to finish.
- The second pizza is a Sausage and Spinach Pizza. Do the same again, spread homemade sauce all over the top surface of the already circled dough.
- Add sausages, spinach and sweetcorn.
- Bake both pizzas in the oven at 180 C for 15 to 20 minutes.
This will bring a big smile to your children's faces and of course a whole new attitude toward foods that are actually good for them.