It's Valentines day tomorrow and all I've been seeing all day on Instagram is 'love' themed cookies, biscuits, cakes and cupcakes. If I had the time today, I would have joined in and decorated these beauties so they fit into the love theme but they were for a baby girl's birthday party so that's definitely out of the question. As you're probably aware, I tend to supplement a lot of the ingredients in my cakes for healthy ingredients but not today. It's a birthday party; let's go wild! Here's how you can make these delightful little numbers.
What you need:
Prep: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 60g good quality (70%) cocoa powder
- 4 or 5 tablespoons boiling hot water
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 120g self-raising flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C / Gas mark 6.
- Line up a 12 hole bun tray with colourful paper cases. I have polkadot cases which are super cute.
- Sift 60g of cocoa into a bowl then add 4 tablespoons of boiling water and mix into a thick chocolate syrup, adding more water if needed.
- Add the softened butter, self-raising flour, baking powder, sugar, and eggs. Mix with electric beater until smooth and evenly mixed.
- Spoon tablespoons of the mixture into the paper cases, filling them 3/4 full.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the sponge mixture has risen and the cupcakes spring back.
- Remove from the oven; cool on a wire rack.
- 110g butter, room temperature
- 500g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60ml milk
- Add butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl, then beat for about 5 minutes with an electric whisk until smooth.
- Pour the milk gradually if you need to loosen the mixture.
- Spoon into a piping bag with a nozzle. Pipe buttercream icing evenly on top of each cupcake. Decorate with chocolate sprinkles or however you like.
Have a lovely weekend!