I've always wanted to bake a Lemon Drizzle Cake and now I have for the very first time, woohoo! It turned out a lot better than expected and the dental nurses in work absolutely loved this little gem! It was lovely receiving such great compliments on how beautiful the texture of my cake was and how great it tasted. Guess I didn't go overboard with that lemon zest after all! Here is the recipe I used to make my Lemon Drizzle Cake.
- 225g (8 oz) softened butter
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 275g (10 oz) self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- finely grated rind of 1 large lemon
- 175g (6 oz) granulated sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
- Grease rectangle baking tin and pre-heat oven to 170°C.
- Measure all the ingredients listed above and pour into a large bowl. Beat well for about 3 minutes until well blended. If you have an electric whisk, feel free to use it as it easier. I prefer to mix by hand with a wooden spoon.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutes until knife comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool a little before adding topping.
- To make the crunchy topping, mix the lemon juice and granulated sugar in a small bowl to give a runny consistency. Spoon mixture onto cake.